Developer iOS 14.5 and the public beta include a number of new features and changes, but one of the most exciting is the ability to unlock iPhone with your Apple Watch when Face ID detects you're wearing a mask. Let's see how to install the beta of iOS 14.5 and watchOS 7.4 to access this useful new feature and more.
Update 2/17: IOS 14.5 Beta 2 is now available to the public and developers and includes 217 new emoji and changes for the Music app.
iOS 14.5 beta 2 was first released to developers yesterday and was released today for public beta testers. The latest versions of iOS feature over 200 new emoji, including AirPods Max, which now feature the headset emoji, new faces, and many more “couple with heart” emoji.
Read below to know how to install iOS public or developer beta to get the new emoji as well as the Apple Watch unlock feature for iPhone.
Below we will see how to get the iOS 14.5 public or developer beta.
The new feature that gets the most attention is Unlock with Apple Watch for iPhone. It works by detecting when you're wearing a face mask and using your watch to authenticate yourself, allowing you to bypass your password.
See what's new with iOS 14.5 beta 1:
How to install iOS 14.5 beta and watchOS 7.4 beta
Note: watchOS 7.4 beta is required to use the new Unlock with Apple Watch for iPhone feature.
Upgrade to iOS 14.5 Public Beta
- Make sure you have a new backup for your iPhone (Apple recommends with your Mac)
- On your iPhone, go to beta.apple.com
- Swipe down a little and tap Sign up or if you are already registered, press the arrow in the upper right corner and Log in
- With iOS selected near the top, swipe down and tap register your iOS device
- Swipe down and tap Download profile
- Tap Allow then Close
- Go to Settings and tap Downloaded profile at the top
- Tap Installer (and 2 more times after)
- To choose Restart to finalize the installation of the public beta profile
- After restarting your iPhone, go to Settings> General> Software Update
- You should see the beta version of iOS 14.5 appear, press Download and install
After signing up / logging in, this is what the process looks like:
Now follow the instructions to complete the installation of the beta profile and then the beta version of iOS 14.5.
WatchOS 7.4 Public Beta Installation
- After installing the beta version of iOS 14.5, the beta version of watchOS 7.4 should appear as long as you are also signed up for this beta.
- If you haven't already, follow the same steps as for the public beta of iOS, but tap watchOS on the first screen of beta.apple.com
- Choose to register your device, download and install the profile, restart your Apple Watch
- Next, head to the Watch app on iPhone> General> Software Update to download and install watchOS 7.4 beta
Upgrade to iOS 14.5 / watchOS 7.4 Developer Beta
- Installation of developer beta versions requires a paid developer account with Apple
- Once you've signed up / signed in - using your iPhone - tap the two-line icon in the top left corner
- Down, press Downloads
- Swipe down and choose Install Profile under iOS 14.5 beta
- Follow the instructions to install it
- After upgrading to iOS 14.5 beta, follow the same process with watchOS 7.4 beta
How to activate Apple Watch unlock for iPhone
Once you run iOS 14.5 beta and watchOS 7.4 ...
- On your iPhone, head to Settings
- Swipe down and tap Face ID and access code
- Swipe down and tap the button under Unlock with Apple Watch
For more, check out our handy coverage here and in the videos below:
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more information on Apple: