Apple recently released its latest version of the operating system for iPhone. The new iOS 15 comes with new features as well as upgrades from the previous ones. One of these new features is 'Focus' which is designed for a time when the user doesn't want to be distracted by unwanted notifications from certain apps. In this article, I will show you how to configure this Focus mode on your iPhone as well as how to customize it.
Focus mode on iPhone (iOS 15)
The focus mode is sort of like 'Do Not Disturb', but it's improved in many ways. Read on for all the details of Focus Mode here.
What is iOS 15 focus mode?
As mentioned above, Focus is like an improved version of “Do Not Disturb,” and it lets you filter notifications on your phone based on your activity so you can focus on what you're doing. You can use different profiles and decide which notifications come to you. You can even organize apps and widgets on your home screen according to profile.
How to configure the focus mode?
When setting up a Focus, first make sure you're on iOS 15, and if not, update it. After that, follow these steps:
1. Open Control Center on your iPhone by swiping your finger at the top right.
2. Look here for “Focus” and tap on it. Make sure you tap on the word, not the moon icon next to it.
3. Now select the profile or activity for which you want to activate focus mode.
4. You can also set a time limit by tapping on three dots (…) or tapping on each activity.
How do I activate the focus automatically?
You can also automatically activate a specific Focus mode, depending on the preferences you have set based on the location or use of your app. Here's how to activate autofocus mode:
1. Open the Settings app and tap “Debug”.
2. Now select the Focus profile you want to activate automatically.
4. To select the preferences that will activate this focus, scroll to the “Activate automatically” section and tap the plus (+) icon.
5. Now choose the time, location or apps to activate the focus.
6. Now, to start the Focus automatically, press the “Smart Activation +” button. That's it.
How to customize the focus?
If you want to create a custom focus to filter notifications based on your current activity, you can do that easily. Just follow the steps below:
1. Open “Settings” on your iPhone and tap “Focus”.
2. In the list of profiles, select the one you want to customize. Or tap the Plus (+) button in the top right corner and add a custom name.
3. Now choose the people you want to receive notifications from while using Focus, tap the “People” option.
4. On the next page, tap “Add” and select the name of the contact you want to add, then tap “Done”.
You can also remove a person by tapping the Minus (-) icon.
Now, after choosing the people, you can choose which apps you will receive notifications from.
1. Tap the “Applications” option next to People.
2. Then press “Add” to add an application.
3. Select the desired application (s) by searching, then press “Done”.
4. To allow some applications to send important notifications such as calls, also press the “Time Sensitive” button.
Again, you can remove an app by tapping on the minus icon.
Once everything is set, you can save this Focus profile. Now go to Control Center again and press Focus, then select this profile.
Customize the home screen for debugging
As we mentioned earlier, you can also customize your Home screen according to a Focus profile so that only selected apps and widgets appear on your Home screen. It also reduces the chances of being distracted when you are focused. Follow the steps to customize the Home screen:
1. Open the Settings app and tap “Debug”.
2. Select the focus you want to configure.
3. Now press “Home screen”.
4. To hide notifications, press the “Hide notification badges” button.
5. To select the home screen pages, press the “Custom Pages” button.
6. Now select the Home screen you want to see in Focus mode and press “Done”.
Note that you can only choose from existing home screens and cannot create a new screen that will display for a particular Focus mode.
How to customize the lock screen for focus
If you want the focus mode effects to appear on the lock screen as well, you can change some settings for this. Follow these steps:
1. Open the settings and press “Debug”.
2. Select the focus and press “Lock screen”.
3. To dim the lock screen in a focus mode, turn on the “Dim Lock Screen” switch.
4. To show silent notifications on the lock screen, turn on the “Show on lock screen” switch.
Some other features of Focus
Contacts whose notifications you don't allow in Focus mode will know that your notifications are turned off. They'll see your status the moment they try to contact you in Messages.
If your status says you've turned off notifications using Focus, you can still send them an urgent message. However, you can prevent an app or person from sending such messages.
Automatic driving response
There is also a feature in Focus mode which is useful while driving. You can auto-reply your contacts when they text you and use Focus mode to drive. You can also personalize this automatic response according to you.
Finally, when you use Focus mode on one of your devices, it automatically syncs to your other devices.
So this was all about the new iOS 15 focus mode and how you can get the most out of it by customizing it. For more iOS 15 tips and tricks, follow us on Twitter.
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, smartphone and gadget reviews, join GadgetsToUse telegram group or for the latest review videos subscribe GadgetsToUse Youtube channel.